1. As you arrive into the Station, be sure to exit on the south side by the public toilets and The Neptune Hotel. There are food options in Burry Port near the station if you want to grab something before your walk. Walk away from the station to meet the roundabout, head straight over heading towards the coast. As you continue you end up on a strip between two areas of water, at the far end of this be sure to turn right to join the Wales Coast Path.
2. This first part of the coast path is well sign posted as you pass quite a few buildings and a caravan park. As you continue along the coast you now have expansive views across Pembrey Burrows. After approx. 2 kilometres you will need to bear right away from the coast to enter Pembrey Country Park. You’ll reach a Welsh Water pumping station if you’ve gone too far – keep following the Wales Coast Path (WCP) signs.
3. Continuing along the WCP you walk past a giant bicycle and bear slightly to your left to head across a field and up a small rise to reach a car park. If you have a buggy/wheelchair with you, at this point take the road to the right of the field, it will bring you around to the car park and along to the Visitors Centre. The main walk and the WCP keeps you off road meandering its way through the park to eventually bring you past the dry ski slope and around to cross a road and head into the Visitors Centre. As you walk to the centre you have now left the WCP.
4. There are toilets and refreshments available here, and this your chance to explore for longer if you wish to do so.
5. Our walk takes you slightly back on yourself to the road you crossed to head to the Visitors Centre. Cross this road, and to your left there is a path that leads out of the Park alongside the road. This path is marked as the St Illtyds Walk. Follow this trail as you hug Factory road that exits the Park and leads you towards Pembrey itself. The St Illtyds Walk is well sign posted.
6. Follow this trail until it heads into Penybedd Woodland car park. At this point our walk continues past the car park and over the road bridge ahead of you into Pembrey. Having crossed the bridge turn left at the road junction, and then right onto Lando road which is also the A484. Follow this main road for a short period until on your right follow the blue signs for the cycle track along the canal.
7. You are now following the canal back towards Burry Port. This is straight forward apart from one junction where you appear at a junction of paths and the continuation of the canal is obscured. Take care to turn left and then right to continue alongside the water.
8. Eventually the canal path brings you back out near the train station and your starting point.