1. As you leave the train station and walk up the lane, bear right and cross the road safely to join the pavement. Follow the road over the bridge and then take the first left turn. Follow the road passing a garage on your right and after Honeyhill Grove follow the path that takes you away from the road to then take the next turning right which is a single-track lane.
2. Follow this lane, which after some distance turns sharp left, then right, and eventually arrives at a T-junction in Freshwater East. Take the signed footpath directly opposite to head into woodland. Follow this downhill to reach a lane by houses. Bear left and follow around to then take the next footpath on your left. Follow this path downhill and around to your left to then take a sharp right by houses.
3. Follow this downhill to eventually reach the entrance to a local nature reserve. Go left here behind a house to start to descend to the beach. At this point you have options to explore the area and follow the coastal path. Having taken the time to explore here, retrace your steps but instead of heading behind the house and out of the nature reserve, walk straight uphill on the signed footpath.
4. Follow this path all the way up to reach a road. Go right here to reach a T-Junction. Go left here and after passing Portclew House on your right, turn right at the fingerpost and through the kissing gate. Follow the track to reach another kissing gate and follow the track round to the left.
5. Before the next gate ahead of you, look to your left to join the signed footpath into a wooded area. Follow the path through the woods to reach a kissing gate into a field. Walk straight ahead to see a stile in the hedge line. Cross this stile and walk across the next field aiming for the trees ahead. Cross the next two stiles and follow the track ahead to walk around the back of the trees.
6. Continue along this track to eventually reach a farmyard and a crossroad of tracks. Go left here to leave the farm and reach a road. Go right here to reach a junction. Head straight up to re-cross the bridge from the start and take the left turn onto the lane to lead back to the train station.