1. As you leave the train station head left down the access road, this joins another road where you need to continue left. At this point you can follow the blue signs directing you to the town centre. These will guide you across to the Aldi store and navigate the busy roads over to Picton Place which is the bottom of the main street in town.
2. Head up this road as you cross the river and then head right at Castle Square. Follow the narrow street on the right of the square passing numerous shops to eventually arrive at a junction with a building ahead of you. Go right here where there is a mini roundabout and then left to walk to reach a junction by a busy road.
3. Use the pedestrian crossing point on your right to cross safely heading back to your left slightly and then heading right up Crow Hill Road passing the nursery. In a short distance take the signed path down to your right to enter a wooded area alongside the river. This is Old Mill Grounds Nature Reserve. Follow the main path through the reserve to eventually come to a bridge going over the river. Cross this bridge and then head down the field heading back to town. Pass through a kissing gate and head right alongside the football field.
4. Continue along this path with the river on your right to eventually pass a small children’s playground and then use the underpass to head under the main road previously crossed. Take the bridge back over the river and then take the lane alongside the Ebenezer Church and then left to pass behind the Farmers Arms and then right to head up Holloway.
5. As you walk up this road you’ll pass Gloucester Terrace, and continue around to the left onto North Street. Take the next left into Queens Square and through onto Castle Street. At this point you can take the time to explore the castle and museum.
6. Once you have finished here, return to the entrance gates and head left down the road, and then take the steps down on your right to arrive into a car park. There are public toilets here. Just next to the toilets take the path up onto the main shopping street, High Street. There are food and drink options here.
7. Take the time to explore High Street, and once finished head down the road to cross the river again and from there you can retrace your steps across to Aldi and over to the train station.