1. As you leave the train travelling from either east or west, you need to start the walk from the car park which is situated next to the station. Leaving the car park bear right to walk down to a roundabout, and take the footbridge to walk over the busy roads and reach the Premier Inn and Bagle Brook pub. Continue walking up this road – the A48 – taking the first left turn opposite a funeral home.
2. Follow St Illtyds Drive up hill passing St Catherines Church. You need to follow this road up quite a steep hill for around half a kilometre until you reach the end of the houses on the right and a right hand turning into Bwlch Road. Take this turning to join the high-level Wales Coast Path (WCP). Look out for the yellow and red signage. Follow this road, again up a hill and around to the right. Eventually ahead of you is Blaen Baglan Farm, take the gate here to leave the road.
3. Follow the path ahead past the farm and a house to bear to the right heading for a forestry. As you reach the forestry you are now entering Mynyd Dinas which is part of the Afan Forest Park. Again, keeping an eye out for the WCP signs, enter the forestry and follow the track ahead. After a short while as you come around the headland be sure to watch out for a sharp left and then right turn to continue on the WCP route. Follow this route as it climbs steadily to eventually leave the forestry and meet a gate by some fields.
4. Follow this high-level path near the gate to walk alongside fields which offers amazing views over to Swansea Bay. Eventually you follow the path as it reaches a steep descent and then some steps. So far down there is a crossroads of paths with the steps continuing down. There is an option here for you to continue down the steps as they lead you into Port Talbot where you can get a train back to Baglan. For our walk be sure to bear right here to start the turn back towards Baglan. You have also now left the WCP.
5. Walking along this footpath you’ll reach another crossroads, head straight on here and further along ignore left and right turns. This path again provides good views of the communities below and the coast. You will eventually leave the forestry and enter a small woodland passing a house on your right. Follow the track down behind other houses to where it bends left. At this point there is a footpath sign leading you past the front of a house. Go ahead past the house and down to your left to reach a track. Bear left to reach a road, go left again but then immediately right to be on the main road again – the A48. Follow this back past the shops in Baglan to the footbridge to reach the start of your walk.